Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Clean eating challenge - Day 6

I thought I would do a general update on this week and the clean eating challenge. Mostly it has been a pain in the arse. Without having had time to plan and cook foods ahead of time I have been flying by the seat of my pants. I have eaten a lot of Amy's Organic brand frozen foods. Mostly her burritos. I have tried a few other things that I really didn't care for. I really should know better too. I know I don't like tofu or cooked spinach, so why buy things that have them in it??? I guess I just got caught up in the excitement of trying something new and trying to stay on the positive side.

Overall the foods I am eating are good. I am eating a lot of stuff I already like anyways. Nuts, berries, spinach salads, oatmeal, and eggs. I went to Sprouts Farmer's Market today and I just have to say I LOVE Sprouts. Their produce is phenomenal and there is always something on a decent sale. We spent around $30 and I got a ton of food. Avocados, a couple pounds of oranges and apples, blackberries, blueberries, and I am just drooling over this fruit. I also picked up some stuff I hadn't tried today. I got some quinoa and goat cheese. Sprouts has a nice section of bulk foods and the quinoa is so much cheaper out of the bulk bins than prepackaged. By around $2/lb! So I bought a little of that to try. As for the goat cheese, I have no idea what the difference is between the log of goat cheese I bought and feta to be honest. They both of have kind of the same bite, but a bit different texture. I tried the goat cheese a little bit ago and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It has a sharp bite, is very rich, crumbly, but creamy. It went very well with the sweet blackberries I bought. I had to stop myself from eating the whole package of blackberries. I could easily make myself sick on them I love them so much.

So here are some things I have tried this week that I have liked and will probably keep buying in the future:

Dark chocolate goodness
- Almond milk - both chocolate and vanilla flavors. I but the Silk Pure Almond brand. Both flavors are very rich. The vanilla almost tastes like a shake. I can't wait to try it in a smoothie tomorrow!

-Steel cut oats - a bit heartier and more flavorful than regular quick oats. They have a more nutty taste.

-Goat cheese - surprisingly delicious. I just wish I knew why I could have goat cheese and not regular cheese, but I am not complaining. At least I still get some cheese!!

-Amy's Organic - I am not a big advocate of eating organic for several reasons, but these are surprisingly tasty....at least some of them are. There are a couple that were disgusting in my mind.


Epic spinach and tofu fail! YUCK! I only ate 2 bites.
Yum
- Natural Peanut Butter - I have never had natural peanut butter and it is a bit different texture than I am used to. I tried the Earth Balance brand...and since it is a "treat" for me this week I got some made with coconut oil. Just on the spoon this tastes like candy! It is very rich! But with an apple it is a semi-tropical treat. I like it

And while I have enjoyed some things about this challenge, and bitched most heartily about it general, I will be glad when it is done on Monday. I have lots of yummy things in the fridge to try. We picked up some sausages at Sprouts today as well. They make them all in house everyday. So we have some Chicken Italian Parmesan, Chicken apple, and Pork English bangers. I do love trying new foods.

And no I am not hungry (at the moment)....I'm just missing eating meat!

****

Also, I have to add this. I NEEDED to go jeans shopping Friday morning after work. Thanks to how my thighs rub together right now I wore through the thighs of one of my last pair of wearable jeans. I was not happy because I loved that pair! So I went to Lane Bryant to see what they had since there was a massive sale going on today.

I bought 2 pairs of jeans.

Both size 22s.

The last time I tried on jeans at Lane Bryant I was trying on 26s because 24s were just too snug.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amber! I'm glad you found my blog, and I'm enjoying reading yours as well! Congratulations on a smaller jeans size - that always feels good. I have very mixed feelings about the day I won't be able to shop at Lane Bryant anymore. That place has been so good to me while I've needed it.

    Keep up your great work!

    ReplyDelete