Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Couch to 5K - Will Run For Chocolate!

It has been a busy year for me so far. There has been a lot going on that has kept me busy, mainly with getting married 10 days ago. :)

Now that I have a ton of free time on my hands, I have been thinking about what I want to do. A coworker/friend of mine mentioned a 5K/15K that she will be running in October. It sounded like so much fun I decided I had to try it too! The Hot Chocolate Run 5K/15K in Denver! At the finish line you get fondue instead of beer. Sounds like my kind of race!

After work today Marshall and I stopped and got some running shoes. He needed shoes, and I needed to replace mine. Sadly mine haven't been used much since the Chick-Fil-A contest ended, but they are sure worn out. We went to a running store here in town called Altitude Running. I figured it would be best to go to the pros (since the shoes cost about the same no matter where you go) and get a proper fit. I have some particular issues with my feet and needed a good fitting again. I have horribly flat feet and tend to pronate pretty badly. I figured it couldn't hurt to have Marshall properly fitted either. I have never gone to a running store before because I am always kind of intimidated. The gal was awesome though. She wanted to know what we would be using them for, if we had a training plan, and a few other questions. She put us in some neutral shoes to try and then we walked on the treadmill for a bit. She recorded how we walked and analyzed our gaits to see what we needed. It was really awesome to get to see it. I had been buying the wrong shoes for years!!! It turns out my feet don't pronate as much as I thought! The shoes I had been buying were part of the cause to my twisted ankles in high school and college!

But we both got our shoes and went to the gym tonight to start running. I got us a membership to a SnapFitness. I quit my other gym a while back. My schedule was too weird while I was on nights to ever try and make it more than once a week, and it was getting really expensive too. As much as I love a pool, the SnapFitness has the basic equipment we need right now.

The first run about killed me. It was a warm up for 5 minutes, jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, repeat the walking and jogging for a total of 20 minutes, and cool down for 5 minutes. I ended up walking the last 5 minutes of the alternating sets. I had pushed myself as far as I could tonight. I knew if I went further I was either going to break down and cry or get sick. So I chose to cut back and listen to my body. Overall I feel good....wheezy as all get out, but good.

I went a mile in 25 minutes, and I have a ways to go. I need to be able to do a 15 minute mile or less for the 5k. But I can do this. :)

I think I might talk to my Dr. if I need an inhaler though. I sound awful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment